Whale Hammer Games
Based in Canberra, Australia
Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire is a tactical turn-based RPG, set on a world fallen into a medieval dark age after the collapse of a spacefaring civilization.
You must guide Tahira, the 20-year-old princess of Avestan, on the most challenging night of her life as she fights to save her people from the genocidal Astral Empire.
You’ll fight large-scale turn-based tactics battles using guerrilla warfare tactics, including ambushing enemies, taking cover and knocking foes off cliffs. You’ll also develop relationships with those traveling with you and uncover the secrets of a time when man traversed the stars with impunity.
Tahira is inspired by the travels of the game’s Writer, Peter Castle. In 2009 he traveled through Turkey, Syria, Jordan and Israel and in 2013 he explored Nepal and India.
- A World Fallen Into a Dark Age – Explore a planet still reeling from the collapse of a galaxy-spanning empire. Learn the history of a former frontier world, and the ancient spacefaring people who first explored it.
- Turn-based Guerrilla Warfare – Control up to 20 characters as you fight against the vast army of the Astral Empire in tactical turn-based battles. You must utilize the environment to even the odds by ambushing enemies, taking cover and knocking foes off cliffs and rooftops.
- Never Fight the Same Battle Twice – Tahira has no filler fights. Each encounter has been specifically designed to advance the story. Battles take place in large environments and feature multiple phases, ranging from the three-stage defence of a town to a desperate struggle to rescue trapped civilians.
- Near Real-time Experience – The majority of Tahira takes place over one night. The game is designed to give you a near real-time experience as you guide our heroine through the most challenging night of her life.
- A Rich Cast of Colourful Characters – Including Baruti, an Avestan General; Claw and Hammer, a mercenary power couple attempting to repay a 20-year-old debt to Avestan; and Iba, Tahira’s loyal horse.
- A Soundtrack Inspired by The Middle East and Central Asia – Featuring instruments, sounds and textures recorded while travelling those regions.
Launch Trailer YouTube
Release Date Announcement Trailer YouTube
Kickstarter Trailer YouTube
Tahira Character Animation YouTube
Animation Creation Timelapse YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Recipient of the 2013 ACT Screen Development Fund" http://www.screenact.com.au/pages/fundingandinitiatives/previousfunding.htm
- "Ran a Kickstarter Campaign that raised $68,700 for the development of Tahira." https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/whalehammergames/tahira-echoes-of-the-astral-empire-turn-based-tact
New Australian RPG Imagines A Medieval Vs Sci-Fi World
Kotaku covered our teaser trailer release kotaku.com.au.
Nomad’s Sky: Tahira – Echoes Of The Astral Empire
Rock Paper Shotgun wrote a short preview article about Tahira. rockpapershotgun.com.
Preview: Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire (PC)
Digitally Downloaded wrote a preview of the Tahira Alpha digitallydownloaded.net.
Creating a Character for Tahira
A detailed breakdown of our character concepting process for Tahira (featured on gamasutra) whalehammergames.com.
About Whale Hammer Games
Whale Hammer Games is a three person independent Australian game developer. Our debut title is Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire.
More information on Whale Hammer Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Tahira: Echoes of the Astral Empire Credits
Writing and Marketing, Whale Hammer Games
Game Design and Programming, Whale Hammer Games
Art, Whale Hammer Games
Sound Design, Freelancer